Sunday, January 29, 2006

Double Standards

So, its Tax Return Time. Out come the W2s which bring up how much $$ my hubby and I each make. We both know I make the most out of the two of us, and its not a small difference. But this time of year when he might see it in print seems to be the worst.

My feelings are yes, I make more, but I am also gone more - I work further away and tend to put in more than 40 hours a week. He takes care of Kaylee more during the week and does a lot around the apartment as he has more time. I think its a fair trade. He doesn't. He doesn't like me paying his bills, or paying for stuff when we are out, or covering the larger part of the rent. I get away with it more now than I used to, we have a joint checking account and I can sneak extra money in without him knowing.

If I made less and did more at home it would be ok. However it doesn't work that way for him. Its that man must be the bread winner mentality. And it sucks.
I am a woman, but that doesn't make me less of a person... or vise versa. He is a great husband and father, and part of that is because he is home more during the week than I am.
And the worst part... I feel guilty about it all.
Evil social standards.....

No comments: